JD Samson is all about making herself heard, be it musically (Le Tigre/MEN) or politically (her recent article in the Huffington Post shed a bright light on the harsh reality of being an extremely successful yet fiscally unstable artist). She’s a feminist, an activist and a dear, dear friend. I was lucky enough to get to lounge by her side for a bit last week when she was in town playing at the Echoplex! Here’s a snippet of our super private convo…
1. I’m loving your moustache… What do you think about my beard?
Ever since i met you, i have aspired to grow facial hair so incredibly matched for my facial features. i’m not sure how you do it, but your sculpting is beautiful. a work of art.
2. Stone wash or tie dye? Why?
things have changed for me in the past 6 months. i was all about tie dye last summer, but i must confess to stonewashing my levi’s not more than 2 weeks ago. perhaps its just a mood disorder. but i’m flip flopping all over the place.
3. If you and I were stuck on a desert island and could only play one game, what would it be?
For sure follow the leader. lord knows i’d love to follow in your footsteps.
4. If we got matching tattoos what would they be?
Probably some kind of conceptual evolutionary design that reflects on the personification of animals and the animalization of humans.
5. This is a two part question… I’ve been called a fascist by some of my human friends whenever I demand that we stand up and rise up against the legally accepted form of ritualized, daily violent trespassing that takes place whenever a mail person has the audacity to enter upon my property and throw unwanted paper at my place of rest. Do you agree with my view of mail people or do you dare to side with those thoughtless humans who are against me? What could the chorus to my Postman (or woman) Protest song be like?
I try to be accepting of all people. everyone needs to make money to survive. and perhaps the mail person isn’t aware of how they are intruding into your day. i hear your frustrations, but i think you should try and create peace between the oppressors. if that doesn’t work, a song would be the best ammunition for your revolution. and the song of course will be…
“we read the news on the internet, recycle the paper don’t throw it at pets”
6. If you lived in Laurel Canyon in the 1960’s who would you hang out with and why?
I’m sure my best friends would be the flora and the fauna for sure. maybe the birds. not the byrds. but of course the one human that would center me would be the wonderful, joni mitchell.
7. Has anyone ever told you that you remind them of a brunette, lady Ryan Gosling? I’m not hitting on you, but just wondering, whatcha doin’ after?
No actually, they haven’t. but i’m loving the idea of rescuing you from a fight with another pup, or even from an automobile moving quickly in your direction. let’s go to the beach.